Thursday, September 20, 2012

floundering


I just couldn't get traction today. Having a little trouble re-engaging after being away. Giving myself excuses and leeway since I just got back from surgery. Procrastinating like a pro.
My chin is doing really well. Mr. saw the "wound" today when I had it uncovered briefly, and was really impressed with how it's healing. He doesn't think there's going to be much of a scar. It's in that itchy phase now. Yeeeek.
So, quick quiz: I am from a family that openly shared about wounds and ailments with each other. I mean we showed stitches or scars, described symptoms in detail, that sort of thing. Mr. thinks this is weird. Apparently in his family they kept that sort of information to themselves. Now when I try to tell him about a sickness or ask him to look at something, he acts as though I'm doing something unusual. But I think you need to share stuff like that with each other, because who's going to take care of you if not your family. Right? Who's with me?
Even though I was out twice today I forgot to take my camera with me both times. I'm telling you. I was not with it. So, you're stuck with a photo of our bed. Which, actually, is one of the coziest, most comforting places in our house, in my opinion. It might not be typical "beauty", but it looks wonderful to me.
We met up with a friend for supper. It was great to see her again. However, half-way through the meal Mr. got a phone call. I could tell from his face as he listened to the person on the other end of the line that it was troubling news. He walked away to hear better. When he came back he didn't say anything, but his eyes were speaking volumes. I asked him what it was. He said I probably didn't want to know—which only made me want to know more!
So he told me. A colleague of ours was found drowned in a pond today. What a complete shock. He was a foreigner—one of the "old timers" who had been here 20 years or more. He met his wife, a national, when she was in the US. They moved back here and raised their family. Their youngest just graduated from high school maybe 3 or 4 years ago.
He was a brilliant man, but highly unorganized. One of those awkward geniuses. (geniusii??) A linguist, he was incredible at the language, and we mainly worked with him on translation projects. Mr. most recently taught classes at the same Bible school he did.
It's troubling. It's shocking. It's sobering. It makes you wonder what in the world happened. But here, in this country, we'll probably never know. No one will follow up or investigate. That's just how it is here. We tried to remind ourselves that people die unexpectedly even in the US, but we both agree that this place seems to have more than its share of tragedy. We're so ready to be out of this harsh place for a while.
Sigh. Very heavy to end the day on. My heart goes out to his wife and kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment