Thursday, January 26, 2012

giving

Today was a really excellent day. Almost all of my activity today was done for the benefit of others. Mostly for my Mr., which gave me a little glow all day.

I decided today was the day I was going to get all those projects done that he had been wishing I'd do. Some were small: get something printed at the copy shop, make his favorite soup for supper, buy something he was out of. 

One task was quite large and took most of the day. We think there's a slow leak in one of the apartments above us, and unfortunately the paint has slowly been flaking and falling off of the ceiling of the bathroom that Mr. always uses. It was not nice to look at, and not nice to have paint flecks falling on you.

I scraped off the old paint, a dusty, dirty job for sure. One tip for anyone needing to do this in the near future: don't place your ladder directly under the area you need to scrape. It might make sense as you are standing on the floor, positioning the ladder, but once you get up there and start scraping right above your head, the flaws become clear. Chips in your eyes, in your hair, down your shirt and… other places.

Two coats of paint later, and it looks pretty good. He never expected that I would tackle this, and so he's tickled. I am less than satisfied because you can see the line where the old paint stops (only half of the ceiling was chipping away) and the new paint begins. Also, a dark brown water stain immediately soaked through in one spot.

But he's happy and that was the point. I guess I'm not going to fuss with it anymore.

Besides, it was sweaty work. I had to shut myself in that little bathroom because the kitty was curious about the whole process, and wanted to "help". At one point she decided she needed to be closer to the action, so she climbed the leg of my jeans like a tree trunk, clawed her way up my back (I felt this more, my T-shirt not being as thick as the jeans) and perched on my shoulder. I could do nothing to stop her, as I was balancing precariously on a tall stool, paint can in one hand, brush in the other. It was soon after that that I banished her from the room all together. She was mad, but I was sorry too, since closing the door cut off all the air flow.

But again, well worth it, to see the pleased look of surprise on my Mr.'s face. :-) He's SO worth it.

I also made a purchase at the market that I'm thrilled about. They have Angry Birds (the video game) T-shirts here. I don't know if they are available in the States, but they're absolutely everywhere here. The only catch is that they're mostly in kids' sizes. So, I finally found some in adult sizes today, and I bought a few. I can think of some family back home who will get a real kick out of them. I can't wait!

Also, I came away from the transaction feeling quite good about my haggling skills. The lady started at $5 each, and I ended up getting them for $3.50 each. Yes! Not too much to pay for a good laugh all around.

Good day. Going to bed is somehow nicer when it has been a good day. Kind of like a reward at the end of some successful venture.

No comments:

Post a Comment