Sunday, January 22, 2012

anxious

Well, the kitty is not herself. She's very quiet, and I think she's a bit feverish. Positive note: she ate a little today. The Mr. says to give her time; she just had her surgery 2 days ago. But I'm still anxious. I feel so bad that she feels so bad. I realize I'm probably obsessing, but I want everything to be OK. We'll see how things look tomorrow. It's just hard to wait.

I'm a little conflicted about the photo for today's entry. It is of a Chinese "lion" dancing in front of the Chinese temple that's by our place. It is all part of Chinese New Year, which starts tomorrow.

They come to the temple to get blessed, and then they go around to Chinese businesses and homes and dance to give them good fortune in the new year. As entertaining and curious as it is to watch, it is also very serious. There is a definite spiritual side to all of this, and it is not good.

Many, many offerings are being made and will continue to be made in the next few days. They are burning paper offerings (in the form of money, gold, clothing, cars, houses, etc.) for dead ancestors to have in the afterlife. They are putting out all kinds of food and drinks for the spirits. The smell of incense is thick.

All of this worship is aimed at false gods, or demonic spirits, whether the people realize it or not. It is strengthening the side of evil. It is satanic.

Sometimes we get so caught up in the experience. We want to embrace and appreciate beauty in every culture and religious expression. In truth, there is beauty there. But we forget the darker side of these rituals. 

I know I do not need to be afraid of any of the spirits these people are worshiping. However, I also know I need to be more diligent about bathing my mind in truth and light. I need to be more deliberate about walking hand-in-hand with Jesus this week. I need to reaffirm His lordship in my life as others deny and reject it. I need to live in dependence and submission to Him.

In truth, I need this all the time, not just during a pagan holiday or festival. It is so easy to let other things distract. I'm glad for the reminder to bring me back into focus on Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment