Tuesday, August 7, 2012

quiet


"I have set the Lord continually before me. Because He is at my right hand I will not be shaken."
(Psalm 16:8)
Have you ever considered how hard it is to keep focused on God continually? VERY hard, especially considering there are so many other things to do, so many things that distract and entertain and fill the time.
I was trying to focus on Him a few days ago. Reading through Psalms. Trying to get my mind centered and my thoughts quieted. I flipped to Psalm 23, which is rich and deep and beautiful, in spite of being overused to the point of cliché.
And truly, I found it refreshing. I found it calming. I found it encouraging.
But as I tried to meditate on it, I kept fretting about what I was to do next. I kept wondering how to really connect with God. I kept feeling that it all was, somehow, not enough.
Green pastures. Quiet waters. They sound nice. But I can't stop there; I have to push on. I'm not doing enough. I'm not being intentional/diligent/serious enough about this.
And then the kitty jumped up on my lap. I moved the computer aside to let her sit a bit. "No worries God, I'll be right back to You. She never stays for more than a minute or two anyway."
But wouldn't you know it, she curled up purring and fell promptly asleep. Now what?? "I'm sorry God," I apologized. "It isn't like a kitty is more important that You. I just hate to disturb her. Look at her sleeping there; it warms my heart to see her so peaceful, and to know I'm a part of that."
And He seemed to say, "No worries. No hurry. Welcome to your green pasture and quiet waters. Rest. Enjoy them. Linger as long as you like. We can enjoy each other here in the stillness."
And I did. And it was beautiful. Who knew that green pastures and quiet waters sometimes come wrapped in purring fur?
[Post Script: Tonight, however, she has been anything but quiet, peaceful or still. She slept all afternoon, only to awaken full of mischief. Tipping trash cans, climbing furniture, pulling down laundry hanging to dry. I am going to need to try to wear her out before bed. No green pastures tonight, apparently!]

No comments:

Post a Comment